Monday, July 6, 2009

Cake & Card

That's right! I made this =) And now I could kick myself for forgetting it this morning. I had every intention of bringing it to work so that I don't end up scarfing down the whole damn cake (it's small, so how much would it REALLY matter if one little cake went missing without so much as a hello to the world?!) I must say - it was the absolute easiest cake to whip up and I can't wait to try more with different berries.

Hello, Raspberry Buttermilk Cake! You're delicious. That's right! Yes, you are. Yes, you are. You tasty little bit of home made goodness. I got the recipe from Sassy Radish and I'm telling you, you won't regret giving it a try either! It's simple. Low maintenance. Wait - that's quite common for it to be something I can whip up in an evening and still make a card and get to my riding lesson!

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
Adapted from
Gourmet, June 2009

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 c), softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries (about 5 ounces)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.

Go on...try it. I promise you won't be disappointed (if you are, invite me over & I'll take care of that bad boy for you!)

For my card, I needed to create a sympathy card. Unfortunately, I just got the news yesterday from my Mom that my Aunt's mother in law passed away and the funeral was that day. The card will be late, but they'll know that we're thinking about them at this difficult time.


Stamps: Thoughts & Prayers
Paper: Bella Birds, Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Bordering Blue
Ink: Chocolate Chip Craft & Classic Inks
Accessories: Chocolate Chip Twill Ribbon, Hologram Highlights EP, Nestabilities
Techniques: Embossing

Thanks for checking out today's rubbish....although I really do believe that the cake will make you a believer in all things easy-peasy yet delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Yummm...I will definitely be trying out that recipe..I love anything with buttermilk in it...has such a nice flavour to it. The card is beautiful; love the embossed tree, sentiment and mix of DP...your mother's Aunt's family will truly appreciate it. TFS! Tinla

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss! Your card is beautiful and I'm sure it will brighten her day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, and delicious looking cake. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card and the cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! Great colors! These are so hard for me to make but they do mean a lot to the recipients. I'm sure will be appreciated. Thanks for the cake recipe. Looks yummy! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tanny..this card is absolutely beautiful...
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment =) Be sure to include your blog info so I can check out what you arere up to, as well!
~Tanis