Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Man's Birthday

Well this weeks challenge over at the Sisterhood of Crafters is a male-themed birthday or anniversary card. Here's a news flash....I struggle with cards for men! LOL

Boni is sponsoring the challenge with her awesome Bonibleaux Designs. Unfortunately, I needed two birthday cards for friends & family as fast as I could and that meant I skipped out on coloring. However, there is a $10 gift certificate to her store up for grabs if you are the lucky challenge winner this week!

I used the first VLVJune2011 sketch as my layout for the first card. On my blue balloon, I also gave the Make it Monday #20 challenge a try - reverse masking. What a fun technique! A little glossy accents to make them pop, a half pearl and some liquid pearls around the edge of the center panel was pretty much it for 'girly' stuff ;)


My second card is for MrP's Pa...he always reminds me of a tree (maybe the lack of fat that makes hugging him like hugging a tree with his lean muscles just as solid?!) Or maybe because he lives in Banff and is a huge nature buff?! Either way, he's getting another tree card!

Honestly, I struggled with the 'hand drawn line border' around the image. I guess I'm just a bit too grade school - and I had the feeling that I ruined the card, but I'm sticking with it to push myself out of my comfort zone'.

Anyways, give the Sisterhood challenge a peek for more inspiration and a chance at some awesome digis!







 

7 comments:

  1. You've been busy. Great take on the Verve sketch - the balloons look great! Love that tree image. I can't believe I have not bought that SU set yet. You have made a marvelous masculine card card and I"m sure MrP's dad will love receiving it. Hoping the training is going well and all body parts are functioning 100% :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great masculine cards Tannis! Love the colours on that first one, the glossy balloons and those pearly accents. The tree image is majestic and represents a strong soul to me, very masculine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cards and I'm a huge fan of adding glossy stuff whenever possible...lol! I've never bought that tree set, but it is on of my all time favorites! I like the hand drawn line, I have no idea how you got it so evenly in the center of your card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cards! Wonderful silvery dots on the MIM card, and great application of the reverse masking technique! Your Verve card is great--I really like the hand drawn line--I wouldn't change it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way! That hand drawn border is PERFECT!!! Awesome masculine cards - you do them SO well! I have a hard time with cards for boys - at least my hubby tells me that my male cards skew a little on the feminine side LOL! I love the color blocking on the first balloon card too! I must get some of those liquid pearls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little behind in commenting...sorry, but Blogger wasn't letting me comment earlier so I'm on the iPad now and it's letting me :) LOVE the hand drawn border!! Very "natural" looking :) Oh, and is that the tree from Lovely as a Tree? LOVE that set :) Gorgeous colours and you rock the masculine cards!! Any word on the street about when this strike will end? UGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards! I love the clean designs on both.

    Just popping by to say "Hi" from Karin's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment =) Be sure to include your blog info so I can check out what you arere up to, as well!
~Tanis